I was experimenting with my first point and shoot digital camera.
As this is a new blog I’m putting a list of some of my online projects here. I use flickr and tumblr as my two main digital folio display tools.
- Every Saturday at 17:17 I make a picture, it’s a project about time and photography’s unique ability to preserve it.
- Four days a week at work I make this picture, again it’s a project about time and photography’s unique ability to preserve it.
- I have lived in Sunshine now since 2000. At some point around 2017 I realised that I was sitting on a vast archive of images. These were of things and scenes that have changed or disappeared. I decided then to start looking at other parts and places of Sunshine and record them. This is an ongoing project like the other two predominantly digital but I do use film as well.
I have many ideas and projects that tick away on flickr, this list details some them.
- Psychogeography, this project has its roots in my use of phone cameras, the underlying concept comes from an art movement active in the late 1960s early 1970s. The movement was called the Situationists and extolled the idea that walking and observing in the city was an act of creation and rebellion itself.
- C roads & other adventures this project is like the Psychogeography however it involves me driving in a manner that is spontaneous and intuitive. It too is an going project.
- Doors/Doorways Inspired by Egene Atget’s work I find that the shape and form of a door is very interesting.
- Concrete as canvas as a surface most people look at concrete as a bland and uninteresting surface/object. Under the right conditions though the surface can become quite beautiful.
- Abstractions. This work is about the how surfaces can becomes an abstration unto themselves. What really makes these pictures interesting for me is the fact that they are also ephemeral and disappear very quickly.
What impact does a visual trope like a sunset have in this day and age of the networked image. Especially if it was made before flickr, facebook and probably google? This sunset was made circa 2002. It was made from the edge of the site where I worked from 1994 to 2013.
I’m thinking of posting sunsets fairly frequently as a kind of response to the current pandemic sweeping the world.